Monday, October 4, 2010

I Love Carbs

I didn't do any sewing all week. Big Sister Bear was not feeling well and was permanently attached to me both day and night. It was the first time in a long time that she preferred Mama to Papa. This made me kind of sad because she was sick so I couldn't really take pleasure in her being so clingy and quiet.

Little Sister Bear was introduced to the sippy cup this week. She's been showing interest and taking the older cubs' cups. We took advantage of her interest since Big Sister Bear wasn't into them until she was fifteen months old.

It seems that the bigger cubs motivate Little Sister Bear. I feel as if she'll always be trying to keep up with them. This saddens me because it means that she'll grow up that much faster.


This weekend I used my bread machine for the first time. I've only had it for three years! When it was given to me I didn't have room for it in my teeny kitchen. Pepere Bear (my Dad) was a sucker for homemade bread so Memere Bear used it until we moved to a bigger apartment.

I used a boxed bread mix. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I especially liked that I didn't have to worry about timing the rising. The machine did it all. I put in the ingredients, pushed a few buttons and three hours later there was a fresh baked country white bread cooling on my table.

I can't wait to make one from scratch. I want to try honey wheat since that is my ultimate favorite. My hope is that there will be no need to buy bread at the store anymore. In our opinion REAL fresh baked bread is WAY better. I have a sneaking suspicion this machine will be running quite often.


In the photo above that pumpkin looking thing on the right is actually an ambercup squash. I didn't know what it was when I bought it, just that it was squash. And that it was grown at a local farm.

I cooked it the same way I cook other winter squashes. I cut it in half, scooped out the seeds and pierced the skin. Then I put it in a baking pan, flesh side down with about an inch of water. After baking it for forty-five minutes at 350 degrees it was nice and tender.

Ambercup squash tastes like a cross between a chestnut and a butternut squash. It has a consistency that is slightly creamier than a chestnut. I mashed it up with butter, brown sugar and nutmeg. It was delicious.

Sunday morning Big Sister Bear tested out her newest dress up item...a tutu. I made it last weekend and it hung in my kitchen all week while I waited for a nice day to take some pictures. I decided to just let her rock it and take some action shots.


I love how poufy it is. And I love that she thinks she's a princess when she wears it.


She was dancing around and fluffing it. I think it looks great with her jammies too.


She was ecstatic.


She also discovered that it is suitable attire for cooking.


It's the perfect thing to wear for teatime.


Nephew Bear was all about the tutu photo session.  He posed (willingly) for a photo shoot too.


He's such a handsome, happy little goober. He insisted on trying the tutu. We let him so that he could get it out of his system. I did not take pictures if him in the tutu because I don't want him to hate me when he's a teenager.

He looked like Ace Ventura in the scene when they visit the mental institution. All he was missing was the boots.


Little Sister Bear just hung out in her jumper observing my paparazzi behavior. She patiently waited until it was her turn.


I love how she has the fattest legs that end with itty bitty feet and ankles. She is the sweetest little thing.


I have a bunch of things waiting in the wings to be sewn up. I'm also waiting on a package that should have been here on the 2nd! What's more frustrating is that it was missent and I can't get an actual person on the telephone over at old reliable USPS. I've sent an email to them via their online customer service department. Keep an eye out for my next post about how the books I ordered from Barnes and Nobel toured the country.

No comments: