Monday, September 27, 2010

The Greatest

Everyone has that person that influenced you the most while growing up. The person who taught you all about life and living. That go to person for advice and support. The person you knew would go above and beyond to never let you down. For me that person was my Memere.

Memere was quite amazing. She lived a fuller life than most perfectly healthy people despite having contracted polio when she was 4. She was a vibrant, positive and caring woman who persevered over a lifetime of illness to have many accomplishments. She was strong and stubborn. She was a miracle. A mother to five children, grandmother to nine and a great grandmother too. Memere was Mother of the Year. She was a wonderful cook and very crafty.

Growing up I was fortunate enough to have my Memere close by. She either lived with us or very close by. I spent practically every weekend and every summer vacation with her. We would cook and talk. She was a very wise woman and always knew what to say. She was the best mentor and role model I could have asked for. I am the person I am today because of the things she taught me.

Ten years ago today I was faced with having to say goodbye to this brilliant, sweet, loving, charismatic woman. Ten years. It seems like a lifetime. Over the years the pain of missing her has subsided and now when I think about her I smile. That's what she would have wanted.

I am told that I am a lot like her. I love babies and children. I cook and craft. I have to stay busy. I try to stay positive. I'm happiest when surrounded by family and would go to the ends of the earth for them, just like her.

I could go on for days about her. She was that great.

So because of her influence and since she passed her passion for crafting on to me, I felt it was fitting to give her a tribute today. Without her impact I probably wouldn't have learned to sew or started this blog. Everyday she is with me. She is part of how I live my life and part of who I am.



No comments: