Monday, May 24, 2010

A New Outlet

Ever since I was a little girl I've wanted to learn to sew. My Memere taught me how to hand sew a pillow for my dolls out of scraps when I was about 11. And that was the extent of my sewing knowledge. Well that and reattaching buttons.

Thanks to my wonderful husband, Papa Bear, I recently received my first sewing machine. Along with my machine, which is a Singer Esteem II, I received a sewing basket with all the goodies to fill it.

After I was all set up to sew I took my first trip to the fabric store. I was overwhelmed by all the beautiful bolts of fabric. Being a beginner I had to keep my head about me and just stick to a few cute prints that were on sale to get me started. I can already tell that I am going to become a fabric junkie. My mother-in-law is an avid sewer and had tons of fabric to spare. We took the kids over for a visit and to raid her stockpile. I ended up with 14 yards of various flowers prints.

The first night sewing was very interesting, just learning how to adjust the bobbin tension was a challenge (but thanks to Papa Bear's previous embroidering experience we figured that out quickly) and about an hour into playing with the various stitches I broke a needle! It was a good learning experience.

The first sewing project is an apron. I'm looking forward to getting started. I am preshrinking the fabric tonight so that I can get cutting and sewing tomorrow. Excited to see how it comes out. I need to keep in mind that I am just starting to learn and not be too critical of my work until I get some experience (I can be a perfectionist at times). Can't wait to show it off in an upcoming post.

No comments: