Thursday, September 2, 2010

Anticipating Autumn

This weekend marks the final weekend of summer, Labor Day weekend. What can this mean? It means that my favorite season is coming!

Oh how I love fall. Especially here in New England. The days get cooler, which means I get to break out my beloved hoodies. The crisp refreshing breeze flowing through all the open windows. Apples, pumpkins and squashes are ripe for the picking. Making apple pies, apple bread, and applesauce after our annual picking trip up north. Warm, hearty soups and stews simmering all day, filling the bear den with the scent of deliciousness. Nature walks among the changing leaves. Playgrounds are not so busy because all the kids are in school. Harvest festivities commence. It's the best.

This weekend our bear den grew by one member. We have officially become our Nephew Bear's foster home! After months of waiting and going through the application process he was finally placed with us on Friday. I was there for the moment he came into this world and our lives, brandishing his mark upon my heart forever. Me and Papa Bear have always been there for him, so it was only natural for us to step up and take him into our home when the unfortunate circumstances called for it. He fits right into our little clan as the oldest. We now have a 2 1/2 year old, a 1 1/2 year old and a 7 month old! It's been an adjustment for us, seeing that we are now out numbered, but it's also the most rewarding thing we could be doing right now.

This past Saturday we took our family for a Day Out With Thomas. That's right, Thomas the Tank Engine was visiting locally! The cubs expressions were pricless. Nephew Bear and Big Sister Bear even went for a ride on Thomas with Papa Bear while I took pictures. Big Sister Bear kept screaching, "Tommy!", while Nephew Bear kept telling Thomas to stop because he thought he was steaming away.









We all had a blast. I think I might even like Thomas & Friends more than my cubs do!

Yesterday I cut out the flags for the fabric bunting I'm making for Uncle Marine's homecoming party on the 11th. I also sewed up a dress for Little Sister Bear and have a matching one cut out, ready to be sewed for Big Sister Bear. More on those on my next post.


1 comment:

Beth said...

Those girls need a boy to nag into submission! My sister is a foster mom and it can be trying, but so rewarding!